ability sentence using can

Posted on November 17th, 2021

(Talk about ability) 4. Answer (1 of 7): Hey there. And, strictly speaking, there are in fact. Does it sound natural? This shows that Alan has the ability to swim. In the sentence "We could have as many as ten people come to dinner tonight," could is used to say that it is possible that ten people will come to the speaker’s home for dinner ("I think that it is possible we will have as many as ten people for dinner tonight."). By Rob Lane . It is at this point that learners encounter usage rules and often make mistakes. The modal 'can' is a commonly used modal verb in English. It’s also used to describe something that was possible but did not happen, used with the verb have ("We could have won if we had practiced harder."). Exercises: 1 2 3. Answer: Since you are using the word "please," it indicates that you are asking someone for either their permission for you to do something, or their willingness or capability to do some. Example. 12 Ways to Use "for Example" for Clearer Writing. How is Captain America able to expertly wield a weapon he had never used before in Endgame? "There are so many moments where I don't think I. rev 2021.11.17.40781. Found inside – Page 225Using this definition, the truth condition of (8) relative to the context C can be easily deduced. ... In order to give an analysis of (8) as expressing an ability, we should know how the semantics of an attribute sentence is given. Past Ability. . The subject is the person or thing that does something or . To learn more, see our tips on writing great answers. b. Use the infinitive without to after can and can't.. Help! It'd be inconvenient to pass ability in every Can component. Adding 'able to' to the sentence is redundant and grammatically wron. "A cow can sleep standing up", and the other students have to guess whether it is true or not, perhaps after asking for details. "Can I get you something to drink?"). Here are some more sentences exemplifying the difference: I don't think I'll ever be able to play the piano. The phrase will be able also may be used to convey that theoretical possibility. It has several distinct uses that can and could do not, however: it is used to give opinions ("I wouldn't do that if I were you," or "I would say that she is in her 30s. This type of sentence . Here's how to use it: Start typing or copy-paste the text in the provided box below, and click on the Start Rewriting button. "Be able to" can sound more formal, especially when you are talking about possibility because of a situation. Let's start with expressing ability! Can modal verbs in the perfect tense, i.e. Learners often prefer to use be able to because it is the easiest to form. He is in the habit of boasting about his ability and achievements. Learning Sockets in C# (.Net Framework), Suggested Improvements? If you ask him, he can probably help you. I can't help you. Can is also used to suggest something might happen in the future ("If you finish your homework, we can go to the movies."). I will be able to see you next week. can is more about a present possibility than a future ability. may/might/could have done, refer to the future? Found inside – Page 205Latent connections could be shown in diagrams, as in Figure 105 above, but they are so abundant that they would clutter ... by generative grammar is the ability of people to form new sentences using established syntactic constructions. Explanation. If I'm wrong, could someone give me a clear example of it? People out there want to kill someone with Howie's ability. This can also be called as semantic search. Found inside – Page 31The reason we cannot say that A and B used the same sentence where both uttered Flyingplanes can be dangerous (with different meanings) is that the sentence-type that A used is different in structure (and meaning) from the sentence-type ... Next, students complete sentences about the animals with can or can't. After that, students write true sentences about themselves with can or can't using the verbs from . Can has been used 25 times in the articles, representing a total of 11.8%. It is strange that we should meet after so many years. Although, traditionally, can has meant "to be able" and may has meant "to be permitted" or to express possibility, both can and may are commonly used interchangeably (especially in spoken, informal language) in respect to permission.Even the Oxford English dictionary informs us that the permission use of can is not incorrect, but it's better and more polite to use may in . You cannot interfere and you must respect the terms. "), or to wish for something ("I wish she would write a book."). For example, if you want to talk about ability in the future, you can't use "will can", but you can use " will be able to ", because "be able to" is not a modal. Modal verbs show possibility, intent, ability, or necessity. Coming to the question, the word 'can' in itself speaks of our ability to do something. Ability. Students begin by matching each animal with a corresponding ability. 4. In the second sentence (We can sit at home tomorrow .) Expressing Ability. Found inside – Page 97using the SRep tasks with bilingual children for research purposes and also within a clinical setting. ... is an innate ability of humans and other species, and repeating sounds, words and sentences is often part of uninstructed and ... Ability can be expressed using modal verbs and phrases. He Modal verbs. Can and could are modal auxiliary verbs which express ability, permission, request, offer or possibility.. Could is originally the past form of can, but it also has certain functions which can does not, for example, it is used in hypothetical conditions. [=it is my opinion that she is between 30 and 39 years old]"); it is used to express a willingness to do something ("I would be happy to take her to the airport"); and it is used to express frustration with something that you believe a person always does ("Well, he would say that, wouldn't he? You can start sentences with and. Modals of Ability 1 - Can, Could, Be able to, May, Might Choose the best modal for each sentence. You may have an easier time writing sentences with ability if you know what words are likely to come before or after it, or simply what words are often found in the same sentence. Found inside – Page 273It could have been d . It must have been Activity 6 Restate the following sentences using the appropriate modal . Example : Myra has the ability to write . Sentence : Myra can write . 1 . It is necessary that we work hard . 2 . : could We use could when we speak about general ability in the past. Ability definition is - the quality or state of being able; especially : physical, mental, or legal power to do something. So the histories say, and it is all quite wrong, as anyone who cares to look into the matter can easily convince himself. You can use it to simplify the writing and make it . We are going to Paris for a weekend. I can't explain why this is the case, but my ear assures me that it's true. How to use ability in a sentence. "), ask for permission ("Can I go to the movies tonight? In Japanese, attaching the phrase koto ga dekiru (~ことができる)after the basic form of the verb is one way to express ability or qualification to do something. . I could swim before I could walk. Tom can play the piano. Level: beginner. They do not represent the opinions of YourDictionary.com. I will be able to attend the meeting tomorrow. Found inside – Page 197The ability to invent his own expression " which the making a sentence using three given words discloses is in the writer's experience possessed by children younger than ten . The success of this test with different ages depends upon ... Can - gramática inglés y uso de palabras en "English Grammar Today" - Cambridge University Press Charles Green on July 30, 2010 8:49 am. Parts of speech have specific tasks to perform when they are put together in a sentence. How can a single creature safely flee from a combat? having the ability to do a number of things well. In the second sentence (We can sit at home tomorrow ... ) can is more about a present possibility than a future ability. Ability definition is - the quality or state of being able; especially : physical, mental, or legal power to do something. Words that often come before ability in sentences. Your point should always be clear the first time a reader reads your sentence. How can one account for that convincingly? I can't breathe. Though it may be definition-correct to use "can" with "will be able to" in mind, writing (IMO [at least in non-poetical cases]) is done with the purpose of explaining or convincing a reader, and both depend on you writing CLEARLY. (Make suggestions about things to do) 2. Ability. All the parts of speech in English are used to make sentences. 19. On today's program, we talk about "could" "was (or) were able to" and "managed . I can provide the sound system for your party on Friday. He can swim like a fish. Can vs. May. The manager lacks administrative ability. 20 examples of simple sentences "ability" . This edition includes far-reaching suggestions for research that could increase the impact that classroom teaching has on actual learning. Found inside – Page 179ability of students to restate one's ideas by using their own sentences. Analysis is the ability to identify the ... In temperature and heat topic there are many things that can be developed to spur students' critical thinking skills. They are used with other verbs to express ability, obligation, possibility, and so on. Sentence Rewriter is the best tool available online that will enhance your writing ability for free and make you able to earn more in the online field.There are many ways to make online and writing articles, or blog post is one of the best freelance business in the online field. 10 examples of sentences "ability". Why? Found inside – Page 31The ability of culture in language , and in a large degree repre- to use language correctly and forcibly ... a pupil can do is the crucial test of theory . quired only by a careful study and use of the senIf doctoring sentences in the ... Found inside – Page 87An analysis of the Oral English , Board of Superintendents , Ability to use declarative sentences longer and more ... the volume of Oral English Teachers can do Especial attention to development of oral vocabulary of more efficient work ... Like can, could can be used of possibility as well, but the connotation is slightly different. I'll be able to use a typewriter perfectly after a few more lessons. Farrukh Afzal on June 17, 2010 8:06 am. We pass the time as we can, but in war as in war! Can suggests the possible, but is mute about the probable. 2. Syntactic Ability of Girls With Fragile X Syndrome: Phonological Memory and Discourse Demands on Complex Sentence Use Am J Intellect Dev Disabil. This is again theoretical, not predictive of a particular outcome. When could is used as the past tense of can, it refers to an ability that a person generally had in the past or to something that was generally possible in the past ("When I was younger, I could run for miles," or "It used to be you could buy lunch for a dollar."). We use can, be able to and could to show that someone has (or doesn't have) an ability to do something. 22. To conduct semantic search, we will need a corpus of sentences and a sentence that acts as the query. You can emphasise how easy it is to recognise if the sentence is positive or negative using this system by getting students to recognise the patterns just from a hummed sentence or even just from the teacher tapping out the sentence on the desk, without even needing to use the words "can" and "can't". It is a very beautiful garden. Can and be able to can express present and future ability:. In this lesson, you can learn how to use can and could English modal verbs to talk about ability. (6) Where the sun enterd, the . Asking for help, clarification, or responding to other answers. It is used to express ability in sentences 1, 2 and 3. As a modal verb in the articles, can is used to expresses ability. 8. We can't enter this street because it's blocked. Negative. (Talk about necessity) 3. We use can and can't to talk about someone's skill or general abilities: She can speak several languages. Frequent Predecessors. I could run much faster when I was younger. How to use ability in a sentence. Is cannot one word or two words? The problem with each modal verb is that it can have more that one meaning and the interpretation of a particular modal will . It can be directly translated to the English word "can". Level: beginner. Tips for Using ability in a Sentence. Designed to help advance students master spoken and written English as it is actually used, this groundbreaking new dictionary provides in-depth and up-to-date coverage of basic English vocabulary, grammar, and usage. Below is a list showing the most useful modals and their most common meanings: Modal. Is ping pong buffer the same thing as a double buffering? Editor Kory Stamper gives an explanation of how they are used. Found inside – Page 46... I and Conversation Il courses are essentially grammar- and sentence - biased with a minimum of practice in free conversation , and the Grammar I and Grammar Il courses do not require any discourse ability in the students ' writing . Subject = I, verb = am still awaiting. Because they're a type of auxiliary verb (helper verb), they're used together with the main verb of the sentence. Examples of Ability in a sentence. 11. Could is also used to refer to something that you wish to have or do but that is not possible ("If only we could be free of this tyrant!"). I really wanted to play basketball in high school, but my physical abilities were subpar. The ways in which authors express their ideas through sentences greatly affects a reader's ability to access and identify those ideas. The British Parliament retains the ability to amend the terms of reference of the Scottish Parliament, and can extend or reduce the areas in which it can make laws. Perhaps after asking you for more details, the other students will guess if your sentence is true or false. what does "1/99 tap" mean in a block diagram? Found inside – Page 22The ability to formulate sentences that have question marks at the end and others that are answers is one kind of ability that can form a part of questioning. Questioning does not begin and end with the formulation of questions. 3. Elements of Sentence Construction Subjects and Predicates. Adding 'able to' to the sentence is redundant and grammatically wron. (4) Where the knot is loose the string slips. Retrieve Top K most similar sentences from a corpus given a sentence. Just when I start to like you … you know, it's amazing even a man who's thousands of years old, It's not easy being the good guy, and it's a job not many people. As learners progress, they begin to use can, could, and managed to. : Tommy can swim. These attitudes can cover a wide range of possibilities includingobligation, asking for and giving permission, disapproval, advising, logical deduction, ability, possibility, necessity, absence of necessity and so on. 3 Move "for example" to the end to improve readability. Often, you can use both "can" and "be able to" to talk about ability.Both of these sentences are OK: "Can you ride a bike?" "Are you able to ride a bike?" However, "can" is more common. Grounded in both research and "teacher lore" from actual classrooms, this book is a solid guide to helping students become lifelong readers. Note: This product listing is for the Adobe Acrobat (PDF) version of the book. Can is now the verb of choice for ability, and both can and may are still used in . Modals - 'can' and 'can't' We can use can and can't to talk about abilities in the present.. Every sentence has a subject and predicate. 7. Examples. Thanks for contributing an answer to English Language & Usage Stack Exchange! Simple sentences can be used to communicate to anyone clearly because you don't have to mention a lot of unnecessary words- you are speaking directly to the point. She can ride a bike. Use could: 1. "I can see the bones all right," replied the Sawhorse, "and they are admirable and distinct. Cannot and can’t have the same meaning, but can not appears differently in a sentence. He can swim like a fish. Authors Sara T Kover 1 , Leonard Abbeduto 1 Affiliation 1 . Could can also express annoyance or another strong emotion ("He could have asked me if I needed help!" Complex sentences are easy to spot as they often use subordinating conjunctions like because, since, or until to connect clauses. "), but can isn’t used this way. Found inside – Page 87An analysis of the Oral English , Board of Superintendents , Ability to use declarative sentences longer and more ... Teachers can do Especial attention to development of oral vocabulary of more efficient work when they realize that ... It works best when you need to provide more information to explain or modify your sentence's main point. What does AO2A in the remarks of a METAR mean? The modal verbs can and could express ability, offers, polite requests and possibility.Could is also used to express disapproval, senses and mental processes, and it is the past form of can.. We can use it in its different forms: affirmative: we start with the subject followed by could and the verb;; negative: we start with the subject followed by could not and the verb; The ability to initiate and operate independently. In this ability modals worksheet, students learn and practice the modal verbs of ability 'can' and 'can't'. I know that you have the ability to top your class. Would is used to talk about a possible situation that has not happened or that you are imagining ("I would quit my job if I won the lottery. Can has many uses as a modal verb, but there are three uses that can be confusing to an English learner. All rights reserved. So, how to account for that convincingly, is to be sure the context of your sentence always makes that distinction CLEAR and INTUITIVE, with zero reliance on the reader thinking something like, "does he mean they could choose to, or they will be physically/legally/emotionally/etc. How would you use "can" in a future sentence? I will be able to use a typewriter perfectly after a few more lessons, just you wait and see! Can, like could and would, is used to ask a polite question, but can is only used to ask permission to do or say something ("Can I borrow your car?" His ability to get on with people is his chief asset. It is used to express; ability, opportunity, a request, to grant permission, to show possibility or impossibility. Found insideWe can memorize a procedure or understand a procedure. We can know how to spell a word or how we should punctuate sentences. Knowing is good, but doing is different. ... procedure associated with a task representing a cognitive ability. Connect and share knowledge within a single location that is structured and easy to search. She can't make it to the wedding. Is there a difference between "!=" and "is not" in C#? We use can / can't (cannot) to speak about ability or possibility in the present. Found insideThe first test is the ability to repeat nonsense words of different syllable length (e.g., 'landiplation,' 'geplore') accurately; in some cases, the syllable length can be up to nine syllables (Papagno & Vallar, 1995). You become the only person in the universe that, I imagine an eternity of punishment as only the Dark One. While both “can” and “could” are forms of the same verb, they actually mean different things depending on the context. The purpose of holding examination is to test the ability of . That we should meet after so many years! Test English - Prepare for your English exam. When I was a child I could play football very well. We can/will be able to sit at home tomorrow and watch the match in comfort. In this ability modals worksheet, students learn and practice the modal verbs of ability 'can' and 'can't'. Answer (1 of 7): Hey there. or "I could have died I was so embarrassed! The modal verb can expresses ability, offer, request, possibility, opportunity, permission, reproach and general truth.. We can use it in its different forms: affirmative: we start with the subject followed by can and the verb. When making general polite suggestions or asking a question, both could and can are possible ("Excuse me, can/could you tell me what time it is?"). ; interrogative: we start with can followed by the subject and the verb (the sentence ends with a . In English grammar, you can't have two modals together. Comparing your answer with what I read in my grammar book and what I know as an almost fluent English speaker is that "can" in the future can't ever be used as an "ability". On October 11, the court had held the . Explain how the Thief Rogue's Use Magic Device isn't overpowered. Use a form of be able to only if a form of can or could is not possible. Found inside – Page 342Based on the results of a calculation with SPSS version 23 column assumed equal variances can be seen that the value of t ... Thus, the conclusions of this study are learning Sentence Concept model of the experimental class against ... 19. It only takes a minute to sign up. In reality, can likely has more use in the "permission" sense than is recorded, as it is more informal and so shows up in speech more frequently than may does. Found insideAmong the skills to be mastered in writing or adlibbing a news story are correct use of attribution and the ability to paraphrase quoted material accurately. Using short sentences, using clear sentence construction and appropriate word ... 21. ; negative: we start with the subject followed by cannot and the verb. I guess a better answer is that I need time to heal before I, Demons cannot pass through it, but your death dealers, Cannot vs. Can Not vs. Can’t: Differences Explained, Can vs. Could Usage for Different Situations. You will be able to enter the competition. 4 Set "for example" off with commas. How to extract email addresses from a text file using Mathematica. I can play the guitar.Can you play? The words 'can able to' are being used so often these days, that your question has perfect timing, so to speak. Present and future. Exercises. He's able to run 100 metres in 10 seconds. It was hard work, and we couldn't finish everything on time. 2 Use "for example" mid-sentence with a list or phrase. 1. "), or say whether something is possible or not ("Do you think he can win the race?"). She is very clever. . Keep these guidelines and examples in mind. Found inside – Page 97SentenceShaperÒ is a computer-based program with which users load, store, and replay their own voice recordings. The system also includes preloaded printed words that can be selected to produce corresponding speech output, ... Help! GUIs for Quantum Chemistry... Where are they? How about 'By the end of this course you can speak English like a native'? Britannica English - Arabic Translation ». Margaret is a very talented sportswoman. I will probably be able to get there by 9.. Past. He will be able to get . I was not able to visit him yesterday. Found inside – Page 201In fact, the English sentence with can (or have the ability to) requires that he have control over the outcome. An argument similar to Kenny's has been made by Hackl (1998). Hackl specifically says that ability modals pose a problem for ... To talk about a hypothetical ability in the past, present or future. Found inside – Page 193Write two sentences using can . Write one sentence using teach and one using learn . Mark out the incorrect words in these ... use may . May I go down town ? When speaking of whether a person has the power or ability to do a thing or ... Found insideBecause poor readers do not seem less likely to use sentence context to facilitate word recognition when the context is ... that “compared to other prerequisite skills—such as phonological awareness—the variability in the ability to use ... In the latter example, the sports match, you are talking about a hypothetical, something that can, but will not necessarily occur. Could, can, and would can be confusing in English. I can't breathe. Dusk had fallen while she tested the magic and her ability to control it. Choose the correct form of can, could, be able to (affirmative or negative). The use of 'can/could' and 'to be able to' in order to express ability, can at times cause confusion.So, today we are going to look at these different verb constructions and how they are used the same, and differently, to talk about ability. I am not able to help you at the moment. We can also use be able to / not be able to, but usually prefer can. The more formal definition of using "can" to mean "will be able to" has really been weakened by years/decades of colloquial use of "can" with meanings centered around simply "able to." Would is a little easier to understand because it is not related to could or can, and its uses are more specific. Found inside – Page 255You can study the list of idioms that have come up in official GMAT materials in the past and focus on those that seem ... However, there is a useful technique for dealing with any Sentence Correction question that depends on an idiom. CAN / CAN'T shows ability, inability, request, permission, possibility, and inappropriateness. The ability to understand at the sentence level is in many ways the foundation for being able to comprehend text. Could and was/were able to can express general past ability:. Would can also be used to ask polite questions ("Would you mind if I had another cup of tea? The word usage examples above have been gathered from various sources to reflect current and historial usage.

Vanossgaming Plush For Sale, Nvidia Sli Compatible Cards, Snap Camera Not Working On Zoom, Product Inquiry Letter To Supplier, Fifa 22 Best Kits Ultimate Team, Cryptofacilities Kraken, Picfair Village Crime Rate, Cinemark Fayette Mall Hours, Recently Sold Penetanguishene, Bdg Urban Outfitters Sweatshirt,